Finding the right regenerative agriculture consultant can make all the difference for your farm’s success. So how do you go about choosing the right person for your enterprise?
- Make sure there is a process and check this first. If you own or work on a farm that is in production, change should be incremental. For eg. fix your soil first, rehydrate your landscape, then animals and then trees.
- Every farm is different. Still, at a minimum the information gathering process should be lengthy. Weather data, soil tests, topographical maps. Every regenerative agriculture should do there homework.
- Yield vs. effectiveness. Beware someone who promises to increase your yield. Yield raises intensity, which in turn
- True professional spend as much time designing as creating spreadsheets. Planet, people and profit. Yes, regenerative agriculture takes a holistic approach, but it should still make economic sense.
- Look for holistic management, keyline design, and permaculture principles.